THE DYNAMIC EARTH: A BLOG ABOUT GEOLOGY AND THE EARTH SCIENCES

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael Swell

I recently spent around 2 weeks bopping around the west, and in particular looking at the completely rad geology to be seen in Utah, Our Nation's Prettiest State. Anyway, one of the places I camped at was a BLM campground south of Price, UT, called "The Wedge". The Wedge sits right in the heart of the San Rafael Swell. Anyway, at this spot, the San Rafael river has sliced clean through the uplift, exposing a a fair bit of the stratigraphy; the Permian Kaibab Limestone at the base, up through the Chinle/Moenkopi red beds and windblown Wingate Sandstone (Triassic), and finally the aeolian Navajo (Jurassic). It's a pretty spot, and one I'd highly recommend for camping and hiking, if you find yourself in the area. Below are some pictures, taken right from the campground, of this amazing area.


The late spring had apparently seen a fair bit of snow, so it's awfully green out that a way right now!


And here's a little evening light photomosaic to enjoy!

1 comment:

alicetaylor123 said...

I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.


potaup