THE DYNAMIC EARTH: A BLOG ABOUT GEOLOGY AND THE EARTH SCIENCES

Sunday, April 26, 2009

For Sale: Columnar Basalt, Slightly Used, May Be Divine

Wanna see something silly? This. That is silly. Silly enough to end up on CNN, even.


Yup, some wacked-out chowderhead from Idaho has put up some columnar basalt outcrop in his backyard for sale on E-Bay. He claims to see the Hand o'God in the outcrop, which bestowed some sort of magical economic relief to his depressing life, or something. And as of this writing, he's got an offer of around $670 for it, too.

Well, not for It, actually. Just the "rights to it", whatever the hell that means. Still, how often do you get the chance to own some MAGIC basalt? Bid now, geobloggers!

9 comments:

Lockwood said...

HAH! Looks more like the foot of God to me. Bidding now appears to be up to $822. I really should look through my rock collection to see what sort of free associations I could make money off... but I have a pretty serious aversion to committing fraud.

Eric said...

And THAT'S why you're not rich!

BrianR said...

oh jeez ... that is ridiculous

Eric said...

I TOLD you...SILLY! I never lie!

Jessica Ball said...

Actually, depending on where you think the knuckles are, the Hand of God could be making a rather obscene gesture. A kind of "screw you people, columnar basalt is cool enough on its own" statement.

Megan said...

Wow. At first I couldn't even see a hand, but now I can only see it flipping the bird!

Andrew Alden, Oakland Geology blog said...

Looks like the guy "created" it himself with some judicious chisel work.

Eric said...

You know, Andrew, I thought the same thing...and now, I can't help but see the Hand O'God giving us all the finger, after Tuff Cookie's comment.

site said...

Hey, there's really much effective information above!